Editor’s note: An update to this story is available here.
Firefighters from Brick Township and Mantoloking were braving flames, smoke and bitterly cold temperatures in an attempt to quell a house fire that broke out at the home at 182 Pinehurst Road – off Mantoloking Road – late Monday night.
The fire was so intense that the home partially collapsed, sources said, and at least one person was being treated for smoke inhalation. There were no reports of serious injuries, and all firefighters were accounted for after the collapse occurred.
Fire crews were still at the scene at 1 a.m. Tuesday morning, dousing hot spots and containing the flames that remained. Both Jersey Central Power and Light as well as New Jersey Natural Gas were on scene securing utilities.
The fire was contained to one home, though residents of at least one neighboring home were evacuated.
The house itself was barely visible even one door away due to intense smoke, though it appeared to be completely charred when the wind momentarily shifted, providing a glimpse to a reporter on the scene.
According to scanner chatter, all of Brick’s fire companies as well as the Mantoloking fire company responded.