Moviegoers at the AMC Loews Brick Plaza theater were evacuated Tuesday night after a smoke condition developed in one of the theaters in the building, officials said.
Firefighters were called to the theater complex at about 11 p.m. Tuesday night when smoke began filling Theater 4. After firefighters evacuated the building, they found a defective belt on a rooftop HVAC unit caused the smoke condition, which did not turn into a full-fledged fire, said Kevin Batzel, director of the Brick Township Bureau of Fire Prevention.
Firefighters from the Pioneer Hose and Breton Woods fire companies then checked the alarm system, which had activated, and made sure there were no injuries reported. Fire officials allowed the theater to reopen after the incident, Batzel said.