Ocean County experienced its second natural gas explosion in a week early Monday morning when a Point Pleasant Beach home ignited into flames overnight, seriously injuring one local resident.
The victim, a 47-year-old male, reported smelling the odor of natural gas when he awoke from his slumber at about 1:40 a.m., said Al Della Fave, spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. When he went to the bathroom and turned the light switch on, the entire house ignited in flames.
The incident occurred at a home on Cooks Lane, officials said, a small street just east of Route 35.
When police arrived, the burn victim was outside the residence alert and conscious, but with injuries estimated to 40-50 percent of his body, Della Fave said. He was transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center and subsequently transferred to Saint Barnabas Burn Center where he is currently listed in stable condition.
The explosion drew a response from firefighters from several neighboring towns, including Brick, officials said. It is the second natural gas explosion to occur in one week in Ocean County. Last week, a home in Stafford Township exploded due to a gas leak, critically injuring a worker from New Jersey Natural Gas.
In Monday morning’s incident, the fire was extinguished without incident, Della Fave said, and workers from NJNG secured the gas meter. The Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Arson Unit, Ocean County Fire Marshall and Ocean County Sheriff’s Department CSI responded to conduct the investigation into the origin and cause of the leak leading to the explosion.