Brick Township’s Board of Adjustment is scheduled to continue hearing testimony this Wednesday on a plan to build 14 homes on a portion of the Camp Osborn community that was ravaged by fire during Superstorm Sandy. The plan is likely to be met by opposition from homeowners on a neighboring street.
The proposal includes the land owned by Bob Osborn, whose family has owned land in Brick Township for decades. Osborn, who now lives in Maryland, operated a small portion of the Camp Osborn neighborhood as a land-lease, where he rented his land to homeowners. Osborn, 78, is now proposing to develop the plot of land, which extends from the oceanfront to Route 35, and sell the homes. The 14 homes, designed by noted Brick architect Paul Barlo, would be part of a homeowners association that would be responsible for a main road through the development as well as community landscaping.
There were previously 32 bungalows built on the site where the 14 single-family homes are proposed.
The proposed homes will be approximately 1,800 square feet, raised to meet flood standards and built on pilings that meet the standards of FEMA’s ‘V,’ or velocity zones, even though such a level of construction is not required, attorney John Jackson, who represents Osborn, said.
Attorney Edward F. Liston is representing at least one objector from Lyndhurst Drive, which backs up to the Camp Osborn property. Several residents from the street attended a previous meeting held in March on the proposal. Sources have told Shorebeat that residents of the street were concerned that the new homes could obstruct their view of the ocean.
The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday night at the township municipal complex on Chambers Bridge Road. For more information on the project, see our previous story.