Showers overnight between Friday and Saturday forced state officials to postpone a full closure of Route 35 in Mantoloking and Bay Head. The closure has been rescheduled for Monday night into Tuesday morning, officials said.
Beginning at 9 p.m. Monday, April 20, until 6 a.m. Tuesday, the state Department of Transportation’s contractor, Agate Construction Company, will close Route 35 in both directions at Osborne Avenue in Bay Head through Princeton Avenue in Mantoloking for final paving of the highway.
There will be no parking allowed on Route 35 in the work zone and no access to driveways during the overnight closure, the DOT said in a statement. Parking will be available on side streets.
The full closure of the roadway is required to apply the surface course of asphalt using a process known as echelon paving. This technique, officials said, eliminates the seams between lanes, reducing the possibility of roadway deterioration and potholes, which should provide a longer-lasting surface. A small portion of the project north of Osborne Avenue will be paved using traditional daytime alternating traffic.
Several detours will be put into place during the overnight hours:
- Southbound motorists will turn right onto Osborne Avenue
- Turn left onto Lake Avenue
- Continue to Johnson Street then turn right at stop sign and turn left onto Clayton Avenue
- Clayton Avenue becomes Barnegat Lane in Mantoloking
- Continue to Herbert Street/Route 528 and turn right then immediate left turn onto Bay Avenue
- Turn left onto Princeton Avenue then turn right to return to Route 35 South
- Northbound traffic will turn left onto Princeton Avenue in Mantoloking
- Turn right onto Bay Avenue
- Continue to Herbert Street/Route 528 and turn right then immediate left on Barnegat Lane
- Barnegat Lane becomes Clayton Avenue in Bay Head
- Turn right onto Johnson Street then immediate left onto Lake Avenue
- Turn right onto Osborne Avenue then turn left to return to Route 35 North