Brick Township’s firefighters, EMTs, police officers and emergency management responders were recognized Tuesday night for their collective response to a fire at the Chambers Bridge Residence during a snowstorm in January.
The fire, which started after a resident of the 184 unit apartment complex turned on the wrong stove burner, necessitated the evacuation of the building and displaced nine residents, officials said at the time. The fire took place during what was arguably the season’s worst snowstorm, which occurred the night of Jan. 26.
The Chambers Bridge Residence, located within the Brick Township Housing Authority complex, provides homes for elderly and developmentally disabled residents, said Carol Wolfe, president of Homes Now Inc., the nonprofit owner of the complex.
“What could have been a terrible tragedy for all of us turned out to be a mild situation, and we found out who the real heroes are in town,” said Wolfe, who handed plaques to those who responded and helped the residents during a difficult night. “It really was a wonderful demonstration of the good people we have in town.”
Though no one was injured in the fire, one resident did succumb to a heart attack.
Wolfe said township officials, including Business Administrator Joanne Bergin, OEM director Joseph J. Pawlowicz and OEM Deputy Coordinator Joseph Gilsenan helped the displaced residents find homes after they were evacuated by the first responders.
Wolfe thanked Brick police officers and firefighters, Brick Police EMS, Brick Volunteer EMS and the Brick Bureau of Fire Safety for their efforts.