Home Police, Fire & Courts Fire That Broke Out During HVAC Work Blamed for Brick Townhome Fire

Fire That Broke Out During HVAC Work Blamed for Brick Townhome Fire

Police Lights (Photo: Jason Rojas/Flickr)
Police Lights (Photo: Jason Rojas/Flickr)

A fire that broke out during HVAC work being performed at a townhome on Primrose Lane in Brick led to the destruction of the unit and minor damage to two neighboring units, fire officials said.

The fire broke out at 9:40 a.m. while HVAC work was being performed in one of the room of the unit at 83 Primrose Lane, said Kevin Batzel, Director of the Brick Township Bureau of Fire Prevention.

The contractor working at the home had apparently accidentally ignited material within the wall of the unit, which then spread to the attic, Batzel said.


The unit was declared uninhabitable, but beside some minor water and exterior damage to two neighboring units, was contained to the one household.

“The firewalls held up fantastically,” said Batzel.

The units were outfitted with masonry firewalls, which is no longer common in construction.

There were no injuries in the fire. The townhome was occupied by one resident, Batzel said.

  • Frank Rizzo

    Can you tell us what legislator and what political party they belonged to lowered the building code to allow the builders lobby to construct these buildings now a days without the stated firewalls that did their job in this instance. Remember the big fire in Bergen County where the entire giant apartment building burned for days leaving hundreds homeless las spring….

  • Marley

    I agree with you. I had no idea that a firewall is no longer mandated when building new multiple dwelling units. The firewall also did its job at the Kentwood Village Apartments years ago when a fire broke out.

    • Count_Iblis

      I’d rather have a sprinkler system, than a firewall. Firewall won’t do anything if your trapped in the fire scene. A sprinkler system will knock down most fires and at worst, allow you time to escape unharmed.