Home Government Mayor: Beach Replenishment Project May be Put Out to Bid in June

Mayor: Beach Replenishment Project May be Put Out to Bid in June

1
SHARE
Crews work on a beach and dune replenishment project in Long Beach Township, Oct. 15, 2015. (Photo: Daniel Nee)
Crews work on a beach and dune replenishment project in Long Beach Township, Oct. 15, 2015. (Photo: Daniel Nee)

The years-long wait to begin beach replenishment and dune-building on Ocean County’s northern barrier island may have signs of coming to an end.

Brick Mayor John Ducey said Tuesday that state officials informed him that they will likely be ready to give the green light to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to begin accepting bids for project in June. Though federal dollars have been earmarked for replenishment from Manasquan Inlet to Island Beach State Park for several years, the project has never gotten underway due to the refusal of oceanfront homeowners to sign easements allowing the work to go forward, as well as lawsuits filed by the homeowners after the state moved to take the easements.

Ducey did warn, however, that he has been given similar messages in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT - STORY CONTINUES BELOW


“Now they’re saying they’re fairly certain it will be early June,” Ducey said. “If they go out to bid in early June, it will probably be a five or six month process before the actual award.”

Waves lash against a sea wall in Brick Township, N.J.'s Normandy Beach section, Oct. 2, 2015. (Photo: Daniel Nee)
Waves lash against a sea wall in Brick Township, N.J.’s Normandy Beach section, Oct. 2, 2015. (Photo: Daniel Nee)

Brick’s beaches have been especially battered over the past two years. The state installed a steel sea wall that spans the length of the town, designed to be buried under the dunes from the project to be used as a last resort in storms. Because the project never got underway, waves have scoured the base of the wall, creating large drops along the beachfront.

Ducey said the township will restore access to the same beach entrances where entries were created last season. The township has sand in its possession ready to be spread to create the entrances, but all areas of the beach will be evaluated for safety purposes.

The prospect of the replenishment project, which will build 22 foot-high vegetated dunes and create at least a 200 foot beach berm in front of the dune line, getting underway is welcome news for Brick.

“There seems to be some hope on the horizon that we’ll have some sand on our beach,” said Ducey.


SHARE
  • Surfrider

    This is good news, but when will the sand that Brick has in its possession be dropped at places it did last year, so we can get down to the beach safely. There are plenty of fishermen, surfers, and beach goers that are going now to the beach, but it is very hard to traverse up and down the ladder, or finding a spot where one can jump down and get back up. Plus, a lot of us do not understand why the escape ladders rungs stop even with the wall cap, and don’t extend at lease 3′ for safety reasons? Already, many spots where the bolts that hold the cap on are coming loose from the pounding of the ocean against the wall. We can feel that pounding in our house, approx. 150′ back. Realistically, the dune project that will extend 200′ and cover the wall cap is a long ways away. Even if it started when this process ends for bids, which we all know will not happen, it looks like well into the winter before something can start, and considering the east coast atlantic in the winter time, I would think the pump boat would be coming in and out of the inlet during bad weather? We will be lucky if even one beach gets done before next summer!