The state Motor Vehicle Commission has closed its Toms River branch office due to concerns of the measles outbreak in nearby Lakewood spreading.
Documents from the MVC, Department of Health and Ocean County Health Department warn that a person who contracted measles had visited the motor vehicle office on Hooper Avenue – one of 11 locations that were publicly divulged. Anyone who was in the MVC office Tuesday, Nov. 7 between 2:30 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. may have been exposed to the virus, officials said.
The MVC office has been closed since Monday. A spokesperson said meetings were being held Thursday to determine a course of action on how to eliminate the threat of measles from the building. On Thursday, the state Department of Health confirmed 12 cases of measles had been reported.
In addition to the MVC office, several locations in and around Lakewood were identified as areas where people may have been exposed, including:
- Fountain Ballroom, 725 Vassar Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701, October 30-October 31 between 6:00 p.m. and 1:30 a.m.,
- Mesivta of Eatontown, 1300 New Hampshire Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701 and 107 East Harvard St, Lakewood, NJ 08701 November 6-November 9.
- Bais Shalom AKA Alumni, 345 9th St, Lakewood, NJ 08701, November 6 between 1:15 and 6:45 p.m.
- Schul Satmar, 405 Forest Avenue, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 13- October 21 between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. daily
- October 28- November 1 between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. daily
- October 28- October 31 between 6:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. (morning of Nov. 1)
- November 1 between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Eat a Pita, 116 Clifton Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 15 between 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- CHEMED Health Center, 1771 Madison Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 17 between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- October 18 between 10:45 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- October 30 between 9:20 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- October 31 between 8:45 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- November 1 from 10:15 p.m. to close
- NPGS, 231 Main St, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 25 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- October 29 between 2:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m.
- Pizza Plus, 241 4th St, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 28 between 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Office of Dr. Eli Eilenberg, 150 James St, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 31 between 11:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- November 1 between 12:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Four Corners Bagel & Café, 150 James St, Lakewood, NJ 08701
- October 31 between 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
“The Department is working in collaboration with the Ocean County Health Department to identify and notify people who might have been exposed during the time the individuals were infectious,” state health officials said in a statement.
Anyone who suspects an exposure is urged to call a health care provider before going to a medical office or emergency department, the state advised. Special arrangements can be made for evaluation while also protecting other patients and medical staff from possible infection.
Anyone who has not been vaccinated or has not had measles is at risk if they are exposed.
“Two doses of measles vaccine are about 97 percent effective in preventing measles,” said Dr. Christina Tan, state epidemiologist.