Connect with us


Guilty Verdict in 2013 Murder of Brick Man

A jury has found an Asbury Park man guilty in the 2013 slaying of a Brick Township man, prosecutors announced this weekend…

Gavel (Credit: Brian Turner/Flickr)

Gavel (Credit: Brian Turner/Flickr)

A jury has found an Asbury Park man guilty in the 2013 slaying of a Brick Township man.

Spencer S. Young, 21, of Sewell Avenue in Asbury Park, was found guilty of one count each of second degree robbery, first degree felony murder, and first degree aggravated manslaughter, for the murder of 36-year-old Thomas Sudano, Jr., of Brick.

The charges stem from an incident that occurred on July 27, 2013, a statement from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office said. Early that morning, around 12:26 a.m., officers with the Asbury Park Police Department were dispatched to the area of 1100 Atlantic Avenue for a report of an unconscious male lying in the street. Upon arrival, police found the man – later identified as Sudano – unconscious, in cardiac arrest and without any neurological responses.

Get Brick News Updates Daily
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

During the trial, it was learned that Sudano took a taxi from Brick to Asbury Park to meet with co-defendant – a man identified only as “J.B.” – shortly before midnight in order to purchase drugs. J.B. and Young met with Sudano at the McDonald’s on Route 35 in Neptune Township before the pair lured Sudano into a housing complex in Asbury Park with the intentions of robbing him.

At trial, prosecutors said, a witness testified that he saw both Young and J.B. with the victim around midnight. The witness testified that without provocation or warning, J.B. and Young assaulted Sudano, punching, stomping and kicking him. Sudano attempted to flee from his attackers but fell to the ground unconscious. As Sudano lay motionless, Young and J.B. continued their assault, kicking and punching Sudano about his head and body, the statement said. They then stole Sudano’s mobile phone and money before fleeing the area and leaving Sudano lying unconscious in the street.

Young was found in possession of Sudano’s cell phone in Asbury Park three days after the assault, police said. Cellular phone records revealed that the phone was in “constant use” by Young from 12:26 a.m. on July 27, 2013 until he was taken into custody by police three days later.

Sudano died July 29, 2013, at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune. The medical examiner’s office determined his death was caused by blunt force trauma to the head and neck and the manner of death was ruled a homicide, according to prosecutors.

The statement from the prosecutor’s office did not list a sentencing date.

Click to comment