Connect with us


Dropped Cigarette Caused Brick House Fire in Which Dog Died

A Laurelton Fire Company truck. (Credit: Brick Fire)

A Laurelton Fire Company truck. (Credit: Brick Fire)

A house fire Monday claimed the life of a family pet, and authorities say a dropped cigarette was behind the blaze.

When police, fire and EMS workers arrived at 9:59 p.m., the fire at the home at 5 North Cherokee Lane was already causing significant damage. According to Brick Police public information officer Timothy Boyle, there were flames coming from the spare bedroom to the left of the front door.  The windows to the bedroom were beginning to break and heavy smoke was exiting from windows and the front door.

“The residence was evacuated of all people” when authorities arrived, he said.

Get Brick News Updates Daily
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Laurelton Fire Company responded and extinguished the fire, Boyle said, assisted by Herbertsville Fire Company, Breton Woods Fire Company, Pioneer Hose Fire Company, Point Pleasant Beach Fire Company 2, and Point Pleasant Fire Department Station 75. 

Laurelton firefighters ultimately located the family dog inside of the residence. The dog later expired after resuscitation efforts failed, Boyle said.

“The resident reported that he was smoking in a spare bedroom when he dropped a cigarette underneath a bed,” said Boyle. “The bed and mattress caught fire. The resident stated he was unable to extinguish the fire.”

The home sustained substantial damage, officials said.

Brick police detectives and Fire Marshal Frank Beshears will be conducting the investigation.

Click to comment