Brick Township will go ahead with its annual “Trunk or Treat” celebration later this month, officials announced Wednesday.
The spooky celebration returns on Friday, Oct. 23 with a rain date Oct. 30 at the Drum Point Sports Complex, the township announced. This year’s event has been modified due to the coronavirus pandemic; most notably, it will be restricted to Brick residents only. A valid ID with proof of residence will be required and will be checked upon entrance to the event.
Trunk or Treat is an event where residents, local organizations and businesses bring their vehicles, decorate them, pop the trunk and hand out treats. It has become one of the most popular events in Brick Township and Mayor Ducey and the township council “wanted to make sure it was available to Brick’s young people this year,” the announcement said.
The following modifications have been put in to place for this year’s Trunk or Treat:
- Residency requirement.
- Three sessions will be held: 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Admission will be based on vehicles, and each session will have a capacity of 75 vehicles. The 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. sessions will park at Drum Point Sports Complex; the 7 p.m. session will park at the nearby Emma Havens Young School.
- Advanced Registration is required; there will be no admittance without a receipt. This will be strictly enforced, officials said. Receipts will be checked at the gate.
- Trunk-or-Treaters will walk in one direction and will be spaced out to comply with Covid-19 social distancing guidelines.
- Masks are required for all participants.
- There will be no haunted hayride this year.
- A scary walk will be available to walk through in one direction. No food concessions will be allowed.
“These modifications were necessary to move forward with the Trunk or Treat and ensure the safety of participants,” the announcement said.
Anyone who would like to participate by decorating a trunk can register online at https://brickrec.twp.brick.nj.us/ by clicking the “Special Events” link. Those seeking more information can call the township’s Recreation Department at 732-262-1073.