Brick Township officials announced this week that the annual fall leaf collections will begin Oct. 23.
As in the past, the pickup periods correspond to when homes receive recycling pickup. According to the official schedule:
- If your regular recycling day is MONDAY, your collection periods are 10/23 to 10/27 and 11/27 to 12/1
- If your regular recycling day is TUESDAY, your collection periods are 10/30 to 11/3 and 12/4 to 12/8
- If your regular recycling day is WEDNESDAY, your collection periods are 11/6 to 11/10 and 12/11 to 12/15
- If your regular recycling day is THURSDAY, your collection periods are 11/13 to 11/17 and 12/18- to 12/22
- If your regular recycling day is FRIDAY, your collection periods are 11/20 to 11/24 and 12/26 to 12/29
Residents are asked to have their bagged leaves at the curb by 6 a.m. on the first day of their collection periods. Only leaves in bags will be collected. Bags must not weigh more than 50-pounds per bag. Residents are instructed not to put branches, twigs or other debris in the bags with the leaves.
Brick Township, unlike some smaller communities, does not utilize “vacuum trucks” for leaf collection, and it is illegal to place unbagged leaves along the curb, as they can block storm drains that can lead to serious flooding in some neighborhoods. Though purchases of vacuum trucks have been debated on occasion over the years, a town the size of Brick would require a fleet of seven or more of the trucks, costing millions of dollars, which has been a major deterrent along with the flood hazard risk of leaves being left in the street.
Leaves may also be brought to the Brick Township Recycling Center, 836 Ridge Road, Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Leaves are also accepted at the Ocean County Recycling Center, New Hampshire Avenue, Lakewood Township.